G. Morgan

Subject: Toilet is clogged...need homemade tool
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Julie P. = wrote:

Hi, my toilet is clogged up, most likely from too much toilet paper. This
has sometimes happened before, but leaving things sit overnight and/or
sticking the toilet brush handle into the toilet hole and pushing it around
usually fixed this. Sometimes the water filled to the top of the bowl, and
then I heard gurgling sounds, but then the pressure of the water would
always break through the clog.

But this most recent time, nothing has worked.

For various reasons, I don't feel like calling my landlord, since she makes
a big ordeal of everything. I don't have a plunger, and have trouble using
them, since I have difficulty getting a complete seal to effectively plunge.

Is there any quick way to clear the clog? I tried sticking the pick-up tube
from a liquid soap bottle into the hole, and it is clear at least until the
part where the hole starts to curve upwards. The water fills the bowl when
flushed, then I hear gurgling sounds, but it does not flush. After about 15
minutes, the water goes down to normal level by itself

What I would like is a homemade tool to stick down the hole and break the
clog. It has to be flexible, long, and stiff at the same time. Perhaps a
tape measure?

Julie,

1 Pour a bunch of bleach in it, wait overnight before flushing. If that wont
do it, you'll be glad for the next suggestion.

2 Grab a handful of plastic bags (about 4) you have from wal-mart or the
grocery store. Put your hand in one to protect it from the nastiness. Then,
other ones will serve as a plunger -- make sure you have enough to form a ball
big enough to cover the inlet.... Push it down with 3 or four forceful strokes
as to gewt a water hammer pushed through it (like a plunger would do)

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email