Conan the Librarian

Lee Gordon wrote:

One of the best bass men I have ever heard is Charnett Moffett who play with
Kevin Eubanks whose live performace repertoire is decidedly different from
what he plays on the Tonight Show.

I first heard Charnett (named for his dad Charles and a certain
fellow named Ornette, IIRC) playing on the album _Ask The Ages_, with
Sonny Sharrock (*whew*) and Pharoah Sanders (double *whew*). He
*almost* stole the show. Had a groove going that sounded more like
Jimmy Garrison than anyone I'd heard in a long while.

Of course, if you mention Ornette, you have to mention Charlie Haden.

And if you're into the fusion thing, you only need to say one word:
Jaco.

Chuck Vance (whose favorites are probably Mingus (for his
compositions more than his playing), Ron Carter (for his playing more
than his compositions), and Jaco (for basically re-inventing the bass))