Rob Morley

In article be703125c02fc1651339a884df240ad0@localhost,
" says...

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Rob Morley wrote:

Yes, it's Edwardian - so 90 odd years old. The chimney has already been
repointed, the rest of that wall is untouched. So it's done pretty well as
it is fairly well exposed to the weather.

Looks like it could be lime mortar - if so you should probably
repoint in lime, as a portland cement mortar may cause problems.

That did cross my mind but assumed it wasn't given the other areas that
have been repointed are using cement mortar. Is there any easy way of
determining the makeup of the mortar?

Not that I'm aware of short of laboratory analysis.