Roger Shoaf

It is my understanding that when they make dowels they drive it through a
hole in a metal plate. I think I might try this approach here. Sand the
square material close and then drive it through the dowel plate:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=DP

There is also a link to a wood working article at that site.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need a smaller lathe for doing a project. Or I could use some help.

I am trying to turn down some hardwood square stock mounted on a soft
wood dowel. The turning has to be somewhat close, much moreso then on
a wood lathe.

I was told of some guys mounting a trim router up in the tool post of a
larger lathe and he recommended I use a 14" or larger lathe. Then
running the shaft through the through hole, you take the foot down to
the finished dowel diameter (the shaft itself is already at final
dimensions).

I had thought about making a jig for a 12" disc sander (which I would
have to buy also), to take the hole foot down at once. I do have a
4x36" belt sander with a disc attachment and was going to try a
miniture on that.

I could really use some experts help here, this is not a typical wood
working issue as the tolerances need to be fairly close or the arrow
wont be straight or round.

Here is a link to some photo's showing you what I need to turn, how I
am mounting the square stock on the round dowels, and some footed
arrows finished by hand. The pics are on the "foot" link.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lilhunter007

I do have that belts disc sander combo, a 12" band saw, 10" table saw,
a couple routers and the router table pictured, and basic tools from
there.

Again any help, ideas, or if you have a lathe that would be great!
Thanks
Dan
Fairbanks Alaska