Jim Levie

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:24:30 -0800, dawn-dan wrote:

I need a smaller lathe for doing a project. Or I could use some help.

I am trying to turn down some hardwood square stock mounted on a soft
wood dowel. The turning has to be somewhat close, much moreso then on
a wood lathe.

Using a series of drop fingers mounted on a rod behind the work you should
be able to hold any desired degree of accuracy on a wood lathe. And you
could certainly hold better tolerances that changes in humidity will
produce in the wood. The problem in wood turning is not so much of a
problem of working to close tolerances as it is a matter of knowing when
you are there. With a drop fingers you know that you've reached the
correct diameter when the finger drops.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.