bro

90% of the floor looks good and I really don't want to refinish them.
If it's poly coated I can sand (which grit sandpaper?) then recoat with
poly?
Dpes it matter if it's water based poly?

Mike

wrote in message
news
You're on the right track with alcohol on a rag in an inconspicuous
location. Probably shellac being the age it is. Shellac and lacquer
are the only finishes I know of that melt the previous coats making a
single coatd of finish on the substrate. Polyurethane, a varnish,
doesn't melt previous and requires scuff sanding between coats to get
good adhesion.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 04:07:33 GMT, "bro" wrote:

I removed the wall to wall carpet from the 70 year old house I recently
bought. The floors in the bedrooms appears to be pine coated with shellac
or
possibly polyurethane. I don't want to refinish the floors because of
the
beautiful
patina. In only isolated spots and by the door the coating show heavy
wear.

How can I find out which coating is on the floors? How can I protect
and
preserve the floors? What should I use to clean and preserve them?

Thanks,

Mike