Ross Mac

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article ,
L. M. Rappaport wrote:
He never implied you weren't being safe, but even thinking that a
chain would stay sharp for three hours indicates you're enough of a
beginner, that his safety advice was good. You sharpen a chain every
time you fill the tank or at best, in softwood, every other time.
Furthermore, the longer you wait, the harder it is to sharpen the
chain. If you want a guide look at the leading corner of a cutter.
If you're using chisel chain, you will begin to see a rounding over
indicating it's dullness; if you're using conventional chain, you will
still see it beginning to get dull there - instead of a sharp profile,
it will start to get rounded.

Ah, another egotist with lots of unsolicited "advice."

I didn't ask for advice for using the saw, I asked for guidance on one
specific situation. Please do not insult my intelligence by assuming
that, because I don't know everything there is to know about saws, that
I know nothing. Your assumption is dangerous and, in this case,
incorrect.

I suspect that the pro loggers still have a thing or two to learn even
after many years in the field.

And, for the record, the dull chain still seems sharp when I inspect
it... the cutters certainly aren't rounded out or anything obvious like
that. I suspect that it may be sharp enough for softwoods, but when I
tackled the oak it simply wasn't good enough.

JKG

Pay no attention to this guy...it's his usual routine....
While I am no expert on chainsaws I don't think I ever got one to last 3
hours but then again I was always cutting up fallen Madrone trees and those
things are probably hard as your Oak. I would get a couple spare chains and
when you finally get tired, haul em' down and get them sharpened....it's
prety cheap!
Good luck, Ross