On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Lobster wrote:

OK. I think this provides a good excuse to get a ladder stabiliser.

I bought one of these standoffs quite recently, for a similar job:

http://tinyurl.com/4pm6g or

It really is the mutt's nuts - I now wouldn't even consider doing any
sort of brickwork from a ladder without one now (which isn't to say a
tower wouldn't be better still). Otherwise where do you put the mortar,
the spare brick or bits thereof, the various tools etc, all without
falling off or dropping things. The wide separation of the feet against
the wall really helps make it more stable too.

Excellent, thanks for the info. One of those is definitely on then
shopping list. I really could have done with one of those whilst doing the
upstairs windows.