DanG

Traditional pipe, handrail, and post setting was done with molten
sulphur, not lead. The new expansive set grouts have pretty much
replaced it.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Tom Bloom wrote:

I'd like to build porch railings as a first ornamental iron
project. King Archetectural Metals has a great selection of
materials. I'm looking for suggestions on what material type
is a good choice for this project.

For example, should 1 " posts be solid or square tubing? If I
use tubing, the choices are 16 ga (O&P), 14 ga (P&O) and 11 ga
plain hot rolled. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Tom

If you go with 1" square tubing and have some scraps of 3/4'
steel pipe around, you might see if you can drive pieces about
10" long into the bottom ends of the posts if you're gonna be
setting them into holes in stone or concrete.

That'll extend the life of those posts quite a bit should they
start rusting where they go into the holes.

BTW, I still prefer poured lead for securing iron posts into
holes in masonry. I've never had much luck keeping railings from
wiggling when I've used Rockite or similar "expanding cements"
to set them in and the randkids swing on 'em. When lead is used,
you can peen it down with a hammer and punch to close it up if
it ever does get a little loose. Plus, melting and pouring lead
yourself has a nice retro feel to it. G

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are final exams, there will be prayer in
public
schools"