On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Space_Cowby wrote:

They are rather large looking on the pics. If you are happy on a ladder it
can be done. But it could take you 30 mins to get the three bricks out. You
will need to lash the ladder or get some one to foot it. You will be banging
away quite hard here.

OK. I think this provides a good excuse to get a ladder stabiliser. I was
thinking for getting a stabiliser which spreads the load at the top (and
provides a convenient tray) plus one which has telescoping legs to spread
the ground area. Sound reasonable?

Start with a plugging chisel and cut the joint out, snap brick in half and
then remove the rest. You will be ok in patches up to 5 providing there is
no lintels etc nearby. You will also need a small bolster - electricians
chisel and a decent flat cold chisel. You could also drill all the joints
out with a hammer drill or SDS drill.

Fine. Some people recommend drilling holes through the brick, is this
worthwhile?

It's a double brick wall and the face on some of the "tie" bricks has
spalled. I'd expect this to be less of a problem being the side of the
brick and, anyway, the chances of getting it out almost impossible. What's
the best way to prevent any further spalling? Just face it with some
mortar?

Cheers,

Steve.