Wildcard

True hi-fi vcr's don't record on the video track. They have separate
audio heads built into the drum to record alongside the video
track. Independent L + R.

I'm by no means a expert on DAT but I understand they do the same thing
without the video.

Sure feed a digital audio signal into a DAT and you'll get a better
recording. Feed in standard analog stereo and I doubt you will notice
any difference between the vcr and the DAT recording.

The surround sound out of my prerecorded tapes sounds just as good as
the sound from the DVD. I will say the digital surround out of the DVD
doesn't so much sound better. It just gives a wider range of more
distinct individual sounds. I actually prefer the analog since it
seems to cut off the ability for the sound people to really screw up
the sound track. I just hate it when you can barely hear the dialogue
then they blow you out of the room with a action scene.

Leonard Caillouet wrote:

HiFi VCRs are not the same thing as DAT recorders. Not even close. The
audio may be far superior to linear tracks on a VCR but not only is the
performance in a different class than DAT, the technology is completely
different.

It does not make sense to try to use the video tracks for audio without some
form of encoding and decoding. The sync necessary to record at all is in
the audible range. HiFi tracks are adequate for most applications but most
machines will require some video to sync up.

Leonard

"Wildcard" wrote in message

Find a hi-fi (not liner hi-fi but true hi-fi) VCR. You will
then have essentially the same thing as a DAT recorder. With
that you can achieve CD quality sound but only in SP mode.
Assuming a good quality audio source.

That will limit you to two hours recording. In EP the quality
will not be still be good just not as good as SP.

I do the same thing myself with a Sony hi-fi vcr with a
mini dish as the source. Works great. It is then possible
to edit the songs you would like to keep and burn em
onto a CD.

Not that I would do that. Or even recommend or suggest
that.