On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Space_Cowby wrote:

Do I need to replace the spalled bricks? Or can I repatch them? Should
I seal the wall? The mortar is fairly sandy and mixed with gravel.

You could hack out the mortar around the bricks, turn the brick round and
re-mortar - that way you won't have to find matching bricks

Hard work on the ground let alone up a ladder.

Your biggest problem is getting the bricks. It looks as if you have 'metric'
bricks. Not sure when these started but they are about 300mm long compared
to normal bricks of 215 mm. If you can get some I would chop out the damaged
bricks, replace and repoint. Once they start spelling they will not stop.

Just measured the bricks and they're ~220mm wide - but they'll 'imperial'
given it's an edwardian house.

I should have some spare bricks so that won't be an issue.

Is this a feasible job to do up a ladder?

There's 3 bricks next to one another which has failed, is it OK to replace
them all at the same time? Or should I do one, let it set, do
another,etc.?

Thanks to everyone who has replied,

Steve.