Jeff Wisnia

Tom Bloom wrote:

I'd like to build porch railings as a first ornamental iron project. King
Archetectural Metals has a great selection of materials. I'm looking for
suggestions on what material type is a good choice for this project.

For example, should 1 " posts be solid or square tubing? If I use tubing,
the choices are 16 ga (O&P), 14 ga (P&O) and 11 ga plain hot rolled. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Tom

If you go with 1" square tubing and have some scraps of 3/4' steel pipe
around, you might see if you can drive pieces about 10" long into the
bottom ends of the posts if you're gonna be setting them into holes in
stone or concrete.

That'll extend the life of those posts quite a bit should they start
rusting where they go into the holes.

BTW, I still prefer poured lead for securing iron posts into holes in
masonry. I've never had much luck keeping railings from wiggling when
I've used Rockite or similar "expanding cements" to set them in and the
randkids swing on 'em. When lead is used, you can peen it down with a
hammer and punch to close it up if it ever does get a little loose.
Plus, melting and pouring lead yourself has a nice retro feel to it. G

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia