Gunner

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:34:30 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 13 Jan 2005 18:24:18 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) calmly ranted:

Yeah, if you get caught obscuring your license plate, you're gonna
get fined.

Really? I see many many cars with platic covers over the plates that
are intended to hide the plates from IR cameras at tollbooths. Too
many to believe that the police are stopping cars and giving tickets for it.
I see some that are so opaque that I can't read the plate when I'm driving
behind them!

I also see tons of pickup trucks with a trailer hitch that hides the
plates. Do these guys get tickets too?

I got a warning in CA when I had the plate mounted behind the standard
trailer ball on my standard dock bumper. The cop said that according
to the law, nothing at all should block it. I think it was a ploy to
pull me over and check my sobriety. Luckily, it was years after I quit
drinking.

Check your state laws.

Thats a regular classic here in California, even today. I play a bit
of pool in bars, and while I dont drink, I may leave during the "drunk
hours" of midnite to 2am. Ive been stopped so many times with that
ploy, that I used ask them with a big smile if its Felony Trailer
Hitch? as I handed them the paper work. They know me now and dont
even look twice as I make my rounds.

When I was a cop a gazillion years ago, license plate lights was
usually good Probable Cause. In those days, it was not uncommon for
one to be burned out. Most folks assume that if the lp is illuminated
by at least one..its ok. Its not G
Bulbs are way better now days.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke