George E. Cawthon

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Pop writes:

No, it's very valid advice, especially considering the context of the
question. You've obviously never been centrally involved installing a
door like that or you would realize it.

Bunk. You cannot remove panels from a sectional door without unwinding the
torsion springs. I defy you to find any such technique in Clopay's library
of installation manuals:

http://www.clopaydoor.com/installman.asp

An interesting site, I'll have to look at a manual some time.

But why are you arguing against Pop, he is on your side. Or
is this supposed to be for me and you didn't put it in the
thread correctly?

Well, let's assume that you are arguing against what I said.
First, no one said anything about removing a panel. It
was removing two wheels.

I just went out and looked at my door again, and suffice it
to say I did make an error. The cable is hooked to the
bottom of the lowest panel so that the safest way would be
to raise the door all the way to the top where there is very
little tension and then unhook the wheels and pull the
bottom panel down, probably requiring 25 pound of pull with
a well balance door.

On the other hand, your statement is incorrect. If you need
to replace any panel except the bottom panel, there is no
need to release the spring tension. You can even replace a
single middle panel. All you do is just clamp the bottom
panel in place. The spring doesn't know why it can move
further (gravity or a polar bear pulling on it). And I
don't care what Clopay says. You don't really thing auto
mechanics follow all the procedures outlined by the
manufacturer for changing parts do you?

Ok. Strike one--You don't really understand how mechanical
things work. Strike two--You mix up what other people say.
Strike three -- You think that there is only one way to do
something. Strike four-- You can't respond correctly in the
thread.

I really find it hard to believe that you are a Ph.D.