Roger Shoaf

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..

You should be skeptical of your own intuitive analysis of garage doors,
because it is also quite wrong. The system contains on the order of 1000s
ft-lbs of energy, and your suggestions for disassembly will result in an
uncontrolled release of that energy, one way or another, and many of those
ways are destructive or injurious.

1000's of pounds? Gosh will you make up your mind

I asked:

This is like a 50 pound weight on one side of the pulley trying to lift up

one edge of the garage door attached to the other side of the pulley.

Is this what you are calling a *huge* force?

To which you replied:

Yes.

The fact the system may contain more force, is kind of moot to the risk of
what I suggested. The only force that would be in play is the force of the
cable pulling up and the weight of the door pulling down. I know I could
keep those forces in check and fix the gasket.

I fully agree that you did the spring change the right way. The original
question was about how to change the stinking gasket. I am not convinced
that what I had suggested would have been something that a reasonably
mechanicly adept person would have a trouble with, but you do. Let's agree
to disagree.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.