Robert11

Default Arc Fault Circuit Breakers, and GFCI Questions ?

Hello:

I guess this post really dates me, and ceretainly does
make me feel old.

Have just heard about the relatively new type of circuit breakers termed
"arc fault circuit breakers".
Have reads up a bit on them, but still have several questions, please:

I live in a 25 year old house in Mass., that has the conventional type of
circuit breakers installed.

a. Should I replace all, or just the ones going to e.g., the bedroom
outlets with this new type ?

Why ?

b. What about the GFCI ground-fault breakers that I have installed for my
few outlets in the garrage, and on the porch ?

What's best for this type of location; the GFCI, or the new arc fault
type ? Why ?

c. Do they have any available that combine both features ?

If so, approx. cost ?

Is this a good approach?

d. Anyone familiar with the building codes in Mass. and how it relates to
this ?

Not too sure what else to ask, but would like to learn about what types to
use in a residence, where, pros and cons,
etc., if anyone has a few spare minutes would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Bob