Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
HotRod wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good site on how to add radiant heat to an
outside, sidewalk. I want to add a 100' side walk to my shop to

keep
me out of the mud and wet grass and am interested in the pro's and
con's of heating so that I do not have to shovel...

Before you invest in the hardware, find out how much this is

going to
cost to operate. It is very expensive.

--
Joseph Meehan

I recall seeing that it is even illegal to heat a driveway or

sidewalk, but
I sure don't know that for a fact. (could be some leftover trivia

from the
energy crisis) To operate it, I'd say you'd have to hit the lottery

or be
the CEO of a major corporation. A big snowblower would pay for

itself in a
year.

According to these guys, it's not that much:

http://www.warmzone.com/questions-heated-driveways.asp

Q: What are the operational costs of your snow melting systems?

A: The average operational cost for a snow melting system is
approximately $0.28 per 100 square feet per hour. This figure is based
on a system producing 28 watts/sq.ft. with a kwh rate of $0.10 per
hour. If you know the square feet of the area you want to heat, and
your kwh rate, you can calculate the operational costs with this
formula: heatable sq.ft. times watts/sq.ft.,d ivided by 1000, times
your kwh rate.

Remember, these systems don't run continuously, and you can even get
sensors that will determine if 1) it's cold enough and 2) there's
moisture.