willshak

On 1/14/2005 9:20 AM US(ET), Mike Hartigan took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

Hopefully, you've not been discouraged by all the non-answers to your
question and you're still here. Assuming that to be true, I can make
a couple of broad generalizations.

First, feel free to 'warm up' your carafe with anything you want.
190F should be fine. That should help.

Secondly, with most coffeemakers (I'm assuming that this holds true
for yours), the physics of pumping the water from the reservoir to
the coffee relies on heat. Typically, the water is heated in a small
chamber (for lack of a better word) until it reaches a sufficient
temperature that forces it up a tube/pipe and into the coffee filter.
This is similar to the process that causes the water in a percolator
to rise. In your drip maker, cold water enters the chamber as hot
water is forced out. This continues until the reservoir is empty, at
which point, it shuts off. If you fill the reservoir with hot water,
it's likely that the process will occur faster, but the resulting
temperature will be the same, since you wouldn't be changing the
physics involved.

I would not fill the reservoir with hot water unless it was designed to
be able to handle hot water, which would be stated in the user
documentation.
If the reservoir parts are plastic (as most are) and are not heat
resistant, then the container, or any valves, gaskets, tubing, or other
parts between the reservoir and heater element could prematurely warp,
loosen, or fail.

Given that the process appears to be working, perhaps it's a matter
of personal preference. Maybe you just like your coffee hotter than
other people do. I would, nevertheless, persue this with the
manufacturer, though. There's likely some information that defies
generalizations like these.

In article ,
says...

I am trying to have 2 questions answered before I need the repair. Please pardon, my question, if
you feel it is off topic. I have wrote emails to the Vendor and contacted them by phone for a week,
No return phone call or email.

I just purchased an expensive Cuisinart Grind & Brew Automatic CoffeMaker with Thermal Carafe, model
DGB-600.

I love very, "HOT" coffee. The directions included say the following:

"Prewarm carafe with hot water to help keep the coffee hotter".

I tried that with normal hot water from the sink and then placed "filtered cold water in the coffee
pot. The coffe came out cold. So I know, I need to place hot water inside the coffe maker.

So my question is this. I have a Hot Water Dispenser in the house, set to 190 degrees. Can I use
this temperature "hot water" directly inside the carafe to keep the carafe warm.

Also, can I use the 190 degree hot water to actually make the coffee.

I will be making coffee by using it's "grind the beans" on demand function.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net

--
Bill