BigWallop

"Jimmy" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 02:17:47 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

snipped
You must already have the new flat wired for single stand alone

operation,
with its own consumer unit and 25 mm csa' (cross sectional area) Double
Insulated cable tails ready for the connection to the new meter when it

is
installed. They will not connect the new flat to the new supply unless

they
can test all the wiring installation for proper operation. If they find

any
faults, and I mean even the slightest fault, with the wiring, they will

not
connect the new supply to the consumer unit.

Can't they just install the meter and let me (or a proper electrician
working for me) connect it up to the cirquit after they've gone?

No. The whole installation must be already complete and set to go before
they will test and connect the new electrical supply to it. If they just
installed the new supply and meter without anything there, you have the
chance of connecting a totally, excuse the French here, ****ed up wiring
scheme to it after they've gone and blowing everything apart. They must
have a fully working and safe wiring system to connect to before they
finalise their installation and seal the meter and main fuse head end.

(BTW, a head end is the end of the big thick cable that brings the
electrical supply in to the house and has the main fuses and the meter
connected to it)