Jimmy

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:03:27 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

It is Transco that have the UK contract for all civil mains gas supply
pipework and meter installations, but you need to call a gas supplier to
have them contract you with the installation of anything you need to make a
separate supply to your home. The gas supplier then gives the contract to
Transco to make the installation and then the gas supplier charges you for
the new supply of gas.

And the cost of installing the meter, yes? But does the supplier
instruct the transco crew regarding what exactly to do? eg, to dig a
trench to the other side of the road where the pipeline is, or simply
take a feed from the cast iron riser already installed, to the other
flat ages ago? If so, is it possible that different gas supplies would
have different instructions to give the transco bods (and therefore
wildly varying quotes)?

(ask your upstairs neighbour which gas supplier they use)

That's easy; I own both flats, so I already know who the gas supplier
for the second flat is. But am I limited to that supplier when it
comes to getting a meter installed in the second flat? Or can I get
quotes from, say three suppliers and sign up with the one who'll do
the installation the cheapest?

Thanks