Ed Sirett

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:09:50 +0000, Jimmy wrote:

I've got this flat that has no gas supply of its own. I think it would
cost me a few hundred pounds to have a gas main laid on. After that,
I'd need to fork out another few hundred to install a combi boiler to
heat the DHW and the C/H radiators. I can imagine the total cost
amounting to way over £1000. I'm wondering if there are other avenues
I could consider for heating.

There's electricity of course but it's obviously expensive to run.
What other fuels could I use that would eliminate that expense of a
gas main installation?

What about (a) oil and (b)coal or coke? Obviously these are
potentially messier than gas, but what about the actual cost, both for
the initial installation and then the running costs? Has anyone used
these fuels for central heating and tapwater heating?

There seems to be a likelihood that gas will get more expensive in the
future too, which is another reason I'm keen to know about any viable
alternatives.

I remember when I was in Canada about 15 years ago, I noted that many
people used oil-fired warm-air central heating. But the boiler looked
like a large and expensive item.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

When the cost of additional items like tanks or bunkers are added to the
increased costs of the non-gas appliance gas looks by far the best of the
non-electric options.

Electric heating is far from ideal, high running costs, lack of control.
In fact for someone or a couple who is/are out all day, it may work out
far simpler and cheaper to install electric convector heaters rather than
storage units.
With timers and thermostats, using normal full price juice selectively
will likely work out much better than storage units filled with cheaper
heat that is wasted during the day.

If mains gas is available even if it costs many hundred to setup then the
only argument that would prevent you installing gas CH would be that you
could not (yet) afford to do so. You will likely add twice its cost to the
value of the flat.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk