M.J. Orr

"ebd" wrote in message
oups.com...

George,

I put them on the regular way and have had no problem. You don't
really need to (nor should you) crank the cam tightener down as hard as
you can. You just snug it up enough so that there is no belt
vibration. There really isnt that much lateral pressure. The motor
shaft problems that you may have heard about were on the Leisen
(spelling) variable speed motors. For some unknown reason those had a
groove in the shaft just outside the motor housing. That caused a weak
point and thus possibility of failure (at least that seemed to be the
consensus).

Larry

This is a quote from James Barley:

Sorry I can't offer any help with your problem, but the one point I'd like
to mention is that, I had a Nova with a "Baldor" 1hpDC motor, and it broke
it's shaft. I've heard since that this lathe, which is no longer with me,
has suffered the same fate, again, with a "Baldor" 1hpDC mototr.
So the broken shaft problem isn't isolated to Leeson motors.

End Quote!

It would seem that you are incorrect about the type of motors only being
Leesons Larry.

Now for additional points might I suggest to those interested......Do a
google search for broken motor shafts from ANY other lathe manufacturer.
Hmmmmmm ........