.

In article , Jimmy
writes

I've got this flat that has no gas supply of its own. I think it would
cost me a few hundred pounds to have a gas main laid on. After that,
I'd need to fork out another few hundred to install a combi boiler to
heat the DHW and the C/H radiators. I can imagine the total cost
amounting to way over £1000. I'm wondering if there are other avenues
I could consider for heating.

There's electricity of course but it's obviously expensive to run.
What other fuels could I use that would eliminate that expense of a
gas main installation?

What about (a) oil and (b)coal or coke? Obviously these are
potentially messier than gas, but what about the actual cost, both for
the initial installation and then the running costs? Has anyone used
these fuels for central heating and tapwater heating?

There seems to be a likelihood that gas will get more expensive in the
future too, which is another reason I'm keen to know about any viable
alternatives.

I remember when I was in Canada about 15 years ago, I noted that many
people used oil-fired warm-air central heating. But the boiler looked
like a large and expensive item.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Oil boiler to rads will be your best option, oil is cheap enough and the
installation costs will be very similar to gas but without the
connection cost, as other posters have said though 1K is too little 2-3
I would have thought

--
..