Joe AutoDrill

Great, thanks. There's a McMaster-Carr about 10 miles from my office
in Los Angeles, I'll drop by there and pick up some of the micro-fine
pads. Thanks for the tip!

Why not have them ship these to you for like $5? Isn't your time worth more
than the shipping cost? For me, stuff arrives same day if ordered by 2:30
PM or so...

What about after care, though? Presumably this abrasive will remove
the anodized layer so I'll have raw aluminum exposed to the elements.
If that's the case (and assuming the abrasive pads do the trick), what
can I put on it to prevent it from corroding from the oxygen and salt
air? Is maintenance going to be a problem?

It may not remove ALL the anodizing unless you want it to. Start with a
rough pad, then fine, then extra fine to polish, etc. to accomplish this.
To protect afterwards, I'd suggest a good paste or silicone-based wax. No
need to protect the surface from a harsh wax so find the most durable stuff
you can. Usually that means the cheap stuff at the auto parts store. I
don't tell people to use it on their car because any wax with active
silicone in it seals the paint and can sause problems later on. I used to
detail vehicles for a living and have seen many cars with problems...

Race Glaze brand non-active silicone sealer is one of the best there is, but
it is hard to find and expensive. I'd go with cheap stuff for the metal and
expensive stuff for the paint. Maybe even chrome cleaner? Does chrome
cleaner have protectorants in it???

Much success to you.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.