Ecnerwal

In article ,
Eric R Snow wrote:

metal is done outside. All that being said, is there a reason NOT to
use 3/8 cdx on the walls instead of 5/8 drywall? It seems to me that
the plywood would be more durable and less likely to suffer any damage
from things banging into it than drywall. Also, the plywood doesn't
need to be taped. Painting and caulking is all the plywood would need.
The shop is full of machines which is one of the reasons I'd like to
avoid taping, mudding, and sanding.

Step one, if you need to make an inspector happy, ask the inspector.
Don't just ask "can I do this, this way?" try expaining the reasons
you'd like to do it that way, and ask if the inspector can suggest a way
that will pass that meets your need, if the method you've thought of
will not, for some reason.

Observation - Shop drywall really doesn't need to be sanded. Who gives a
darn if you can see where the seams are? It's not a living room.
Probably does have to be taped and mudded to keep the inspector happy
WRT fire. I can't see any reason having to do with function that it
should need sanding, and without sanding, most of the mess is gone.

If you have to have the drywall, you can probably put plywood over the
lower sections for the damage control, and that might get you out of
seam work on the drywall under it - ask.

I seem to recall that some buildings use steel panels on the inside - if
that works for whatever inspection you need to pass, it should be quick
and clean (prepainted, as far as I recall), though I suspect it could
also be loud. Probably high material cost and low labor cost.