N. Thornton

Default Where to get damp proofing cream?

"jerrybuilt " ] wrote in message ...

What would make the oil move upwards? I cant see how it would
myself.

Upwards? Well, oil floats on water, so when damp in the wall
rises, the oil will go up.

not at all what happens.

Worse, as the oil goes up, the
water will follow, or else there'd be a vacuum in your brick
wall, which would make the bricks implode, and your house
would fall down! In a heavy fall of rain, the soaking effect
might force the oil up so fast that it could spout out of
your chimney pot, like an old "gusher" (oil well). This
could be dangerous if you've a fire going, or the neighbours
have forgoten to bring their washing in.

Amusing yes, but convincing no.

I should forget about the possibility of using an injected
oil damp-proof course as soon as possible!

I know you would, but not based on any reason here. The one good
reason to avoid them is that we dont know if they work or not, but I
would be interested to find out. Having used oil soaking as water
penetration prevention elsewhere I know it is most effective, and I
know it soaks nicely into old soft bricks, so I'm certainly curious.

Erm... anyway, damp courses are above ground...

Yes...

Regards, NT