ADC

if you do, probably do not want to use silicone. IIRC, silicone will not
adhere to the material ASB makes their enclosures from. I had one and
sealed inside. didn't leak.
"mele" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a neo-angle shower enclosure that is leaking at the base where
the enclosure meets the wall. The house is about six years old and I
am the 2nd owner. Someone before me sealed the inside of the enclosure
where the metal sits on the base. (I'm not sure whether this was done
at the time of installation or afterwards to repair a prior leak). The
installation manual for the unit clearly states you should not caulk
the inside. I called the toll-free number for the manufacturer (AMS)
and they said to remove the sealant and do not reseal the inside, or it
will leak.

I'm torn between: (1) following the directions; or, (2) sealing the
dickens out of everything, including the inside, with GEII 100%
silicone. One reason I'm leaning toward option (2) is because I don't
think the unit was installed properly in the first place, therefore,
the remaining instructions are rendered moot. Specifically, there is
supposed to be a "filler strip" between the base and the drywall, and I
can't see one (all I see is damp sheetrock sitting right on top of the
base, covered by ceramic tile). Also, a contractor friend of mine who
has installed many of these units said he always seals the inside
(i.e., to heck with the instructions). Any advice? just spent hours
scraping the old silicone off the entire unit and I don't relish the
thought of doing it again in the near future.