Pop

Personally I hate electrical tape....Electrical connections
exhibit
heat and tape peels off when heated....so much for my rant! I'm
sure
some of the electricians on this NG are going to let me have it
with
that comment....ready for a whippin'....Ross

You're right; in my experience, the tape doesn't peel; instead,
it sort of gels itself into and around whatever it's wrapped
around. It sounds like you use soft rubber tape that can be
stretched and that you stretch it to near it's limit as you apply
it. Which, by the way, can also LOOSEN a wire nut, depending on
the wrap direction of the tape.
One should not be so p-h-i-l-o-p-o-L-e-m-i-c
lest they be seen as disputatious.