George

"firstjois" wrote in message
Puff Griffis wrote:
Ok I did a DAGS and did not find the answer. What is the best finish
to use on stair treads ? My wife loves the look of oil but I am not
sure that would hold up. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Puff

Is there any kind of special finish for stairs that would keep them from
being too slippery? Newly finished polyurethan floors are slippery to
stocking feet and some kinds of slippers and shoes, stairs must be murder.

Josie

We got my mother a couple sets of "aqua sock" type slip-ons to be used as
slippers. I notice that they're using something with similar embedded
rubber grip on the bottom of socks in nursing homes now, too.

I make the rounds annually to seniors groups to preach against throw rugs,
shiny stairs and slick bathtubs. I don't like picking up people off the
floors or out of tubs who are old enough that a broken hip is almost a death
sentence. I've even had two people whose fall on enamel painted basement
steps killed them when their head impacted a solid object. Too high a price
to pay for stylish stairs.