Charlie Self

Glenna responds:

PDX is the designation for Portland International Airport which was my
reference, and really only meant that there would not be two PDX
designations.

I am, however, surprised to learn that Portland, Maine, has a designated
international airport. What is its airport designation (as SEA for
Sea/Tac in Seattle, Washington; PDX for Portland, Oregon, LAX for Los
Angeles [also international designated], etc.)? I guess I think of the
area as being more rural; read too many old novels about the beauty of the
Maine countryside perhaps.

Maine is gorgeous: if you ever get a chance, see Acadia National Park. I'm not
really sure Portland has an international airport, but it's a possibility. I
used to visit Maine regularly when my kid sister was alive--she lived in a
place called East Blue Hill--and discovered, to my surprise, that Bangor
Airport was international, even though it has about as many "gates" as Roanoke
(which isn't), VA airport.

And I'd bet you're right about the letter designation. It is very, very
unlikely an outfit, even one as inefficient as the federal government, would
assign PDX to two airports. But, hey, they hit Los Angeles with LAX, and did it
long after Ex-Lax came on the market.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush