Peter T. Keillor III

On 11 Jan 2005 12:37:55 -0800, "doo" wrote:

I'd like to add that if rain or slight wind causes any problems, why
not string a cable on some eyebolts and use tarps as curtains. You
could open and close as needed.
Ron

Matter of fact, that can be pretty good (and cheap) bracing, too. I
once had a little shop, 8'x20', that I built on a skid. I built the
skid of 2"x8" heavy penta treated lumber, nailed with 20d into 6"x8".
There were two full length runners with similar cross members. I then
crossed that with 3/8" galvanized cable on eye bolts and turnbuckles.
The rest was standard stud construction with the usual 1"x4" diagonals
let in, etc.

When it came time to move, we had to swivel it around a tree 90 deg,
then winch it up on my dad's truck. No problem, nothing ever wiggled.

Uprights that are free on the bottom could be a problem. The previous
post about diagonals is good, but you've got to have something to
diagonal to, preferably in x and y directions. You could make the
sides like a gate, with a bottom member to take compression and one or
two diagonals to keep it from racking.

Good luck.

Pete Keillor