carl mciver

I got a few million little boxes from work that are about three by five
by ten inches or so and with a white label I have these all over the place.
Some hold car parts, some hold electronics stuff, and some hold stuff and
tools I use at my workbench. I can actually find stuff now! If it isn't in
a box, that's still a challenge, though!
I keep most of my chemicals in an old standup freezer. Enclosed,
insulated, and a bit safer than out on shelves.
I've been planning but not had a chance to redo my small tool storage
thinking completely. My tool chest is overflowing and the top is a
collector of crap. My idea is to make a wood frame about three feet wide,
two feet deep, and six feet high. Inside the frame I attach six or so
vertical panels suspended from drawer slides top and bottom. The slides
attach to blocks that nest into the frame top and bottom, allowing the
assembly to be moved sideways to accommodate different spacing between
panels. The panels pull out completely on the 24" drawer slides, creating
lots and lots of "wall" space. No pegboards; they always suck and to do it
right you have to spend an arm and a leg on decent clips. With pegs, nails,
blocks, and other available hardware, all my tools can be mounted on both
sides of the panels. The drawer slides are each rated for about 200 pounds
or so, making the load manageable. I can gets gobs and gobs of tools in
there, and the footprint is a mere six square feet. Working similar issues
at work, and my rule is to avoid all horizontal surfaces at all costs. All
I need to do to prove my point is point to one! Everything has a place, and
if there is no place to put something (usually new items) then you HAVE to
make a spot for it because no other place will accept it. And you instantly
know if the kids/wife/neighbor has appropriated one of your tools if you
shadow the tools out with paint or a marker of some kind. My smaller
hammers are shadowed on a bit of space and for some reason I always put them
back. Makes no sense to me at all!
My usable attic space is over the garage and quite full of household
stuff, so I'm kinda leery about hanging stuff from the ceiling. I can see
some sag already, and don't know how much is normal or how much is unsafe.
I really ought to sort and dispose of the stuff I haven't touched in ten or
more years! Freecycle and Craigslist helps get rid of a lot of unnecessary
stuff.

oups.com...