Stefek Zaba

John wrote:

One of the first cartoons about the Internet, vintage c.1985 IIRC (if I
remember correctly), was a picture of a dog sitting at a keyboard and
grinningly telling another dog "On the Internet, no-one knows you're a
dog!". [Yes, c.1985 - long before this Web thing.]

Dunno about R'ing "correctly", but

http://www.unc.edu/depts/jomc/academics/dri/idog.html

claims this cartoon is from the New Yorker July 5, 1993 issue, p.61.
That puts it before the WWW explosion, but well after Tim Berners-Lee
had started the madness. First release of Mosaic, which kicked off the
madness by readily including (gasp) pictures, was Christmas 1992 - geeks
in at least one corporate compsci research lab I have passing
familiarity with were all over it by mid-1993.

That's enough early-days-of-the-Web from me, I think!