Tim Douglass

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:09:40 -0800, Jane & David
wrote:

These days UPS not only doesn't get a signature, they don't even knock
on the door. Several times I have had packages sit in the rain outside
when I was at home and this includes some packages that specifically
required a signature. After many many problems with them, I avoid UPS
whenever possible.

Here, UPS still gets an electronic signature on every package or notes
that they left it. If you want to make sure you get packages without
having them left somewhere be sure to add shipping instructions (i.e.
Deliver to North entrance only - Signature required), and the first
time they don't follow the instructions call the head office and the
BBB and complain like crazy. I've gone out of my way to get to know
the regular UPS, FedEx and USPS guys here. They now bring things to
the house and we don't have any problems. During the holidays I check
all possible places a package might end up every day, since substitute
drivers are prone to taking shortcuts. I also always get tracking
numbers (for UPS and FedEx) and follow the package as best I can so
that I know when to expect it.

For the OP, HF has handled several complaints from me very well. I've
never tried during a holiday period, but I've bought a lot of stray
junk from them here and there and had a few that have had to go back
or that have never arrived. They have invariably taken care of the
problem, although often with considerable delay. Of course I'm lucky
and I always treat the low-level drone like he was the president of
the company "This is my problem, sir", "Thank you for your help, sir",
"I hope you have a good day, sir". They seem to like it and it doesn't
cost me a cent.

YMMV

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com