Arch

Maybe the finish on a salad bowl matters while selling it, but most
salads will be dressed with everything from anchovy to blue cheese plus
a garlic rub and (_extra virgin) olive oil. Salad bowls that are used
will end up with a 'salad dressing finish' regardless.

Sprinkling salt into the soiled bowl and rubbing out with kitchen paper,
the way pre-teflon chef's skillets were cleaned, is one way to clean and
avoid a gummy, rancid oil finish. Hand washing with soapy water,
another. Rinse well & dry right away.

If only greens or fruit are put in the bowl, no finish is needed. A
salad bowl ought to smell like salad anyway, otherwise let them settle
for ceramic and you turn bottle stoppers . You might make a positive
point by suggesting that you leave the bowl unfinished (well maybe a
little mineral oil & wax for looks) so the buyer can customise with a
favorite dressing.

You might want to have bottles of various dressings, salt and kitchen
paper for them to finish and season their treasures on site when
purchased. Maybe not, but at least, you would draw a crowd of sniffers!

Sorry, I got carried away. I do love to build and consume a good salad.
I'll discuss the unfortunate *******izations of a proper martini another
time. Thanks for not bringing up the question of food safe finishes

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter