Wild Bill

One of the best ready-built storage system components I found at a garage
sale, is a square hospital emergency room type cart, about 4-1/2 ft tall.
It's built for ready access to numerous drawers, from either side.

It's not a substitute for a roll away tool cabinet, but it holds more
hardware/parts and miscellaneous stuff than I ever imagined.

There are 12 medium sized drawers, and another 12 facing the other
direction. The large, deeper full width drawers can be pulled out either
side, one near the top, the other below the 24 smaller drawers. There's a
third full width, shallower drawer at the top that only pulls out from the
third side.
All the drawers lock in place by stepping on a rod at the bottom, so the
drawers could be locked when it had hospital supplies in it.

This sturdy cart holds a lot of crap for it's size, plus the additional
stuff on top. There are synthetic tires on ball bearing wheels, about 5"
diameter.. big enough to roll over rough spots easily, or an air hose if
needed.
The frame is welded steel, and the only not-so-good feature is that the 24
smaller drawers are plastic. When I get around to building or finding a
former/deflattener, I'll most likely bend up some metal drawers for it.

A home shop buddy once told me he would build the best shop design.. a round
shop, because it doesn't have any corners to start piling stuff into.

WB

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in the process of rearranging my shop layout....what shop storage
method do you like the best in your shop. For example....do you have
work benches with storage under it...shelves on the walls, old school
lockers, ect...I am thinking of building work benches with storage
under...and configure the benches with openings for welders, grinders,
bandsaws and other tools with designated storage and use areas. I have
been racking my brain trying to develop the best design, then thought
"why not ask what others like best in their shops..."

Thanks