Too_Many_Tools

Another issue you may want to consider is one of security....tools are
prime magnets for thieves and "borrowiing" neighbors...I'll let you
decide who is worse. Also if you have children, there are some, no
make that many tools that need to be regulated.

Depending on how many prying eyes and sticky fingers wander through
your shop, it can be a very good thing to have many of your more
valuable, harder to replace, smaller items behind closed doors. It is
much harder to borrow or steal tools if the party in question doesn't
know they exist. I deliberately have cheap "loaner" tools that are
visible to the public that are cannon fodder for my ham handed
neighbors and jail bait for any thief that might make a midnight visit.
The good stuff is stored in ratty looking storage cabinets while the
Chinese wonder tools are stored in the nice bright red tool chests.
Over the years, this approach has saved me considerable fustration with
certain neighbors and several breakins.

As a child, I lived in my father's shop. I look back on this and
realize how many close calls I had messing around with the
machines...none of which my father ever knew about. Safety training and
regulation of which tools to use is of course the answer to this issue
but your choice of storage will determine what access your children
will have to the tools.

TMT