Grant Erwin

Oh yeah. Also, I collect box end wrenches at yard sales and when I need
one for a tool I cut off the other end and dedicate the wrench for that tool.
For example, on my 9" SB lathe, the big nut on top of my AXA toolpost is 7/8"
and I have an old 7/8" box wrench which used to have two ends. Now the other
end is cut off and that wrench lives right at that lathe.

One thing you should be aware of is when you do design storage inside a
machinery stand, if you use drawers or shelves make sure they are big enough.
I built a Ralph Walker lathe stand with 9 drawers but none of them will hold
the larger chucks I own for my little lathe, sigh. Wish they were deeper.

On electric cord storage, I've learned to hang hooks high and coil cords in
BIG loops, like six feet down and back. Many fewer coils that way, easier to
handle, lays flatter against the wall, less time coiling. You can double up
two cords on one hook by coiling one six feet and the other 3 feet -- even
if the cords look identical it's easy to tell which is which and take off
just the one. Also, I have learned to not buy 100' cords -- 4 25' cords are
more useful. Same with air hose. Sure, sometimes I need to work way away from
my shop way down the driveway, that's when I use them all. But most of the
time I'm right in close, and less cord means less hassle, less clutter, less
coiling, less stuff to trip over.

Also, stuff can be portable without being on casters if your floor is smooth
concrete. I have a bunch of blacksmithing stuff that I move a lot and none of
it is on casters. It's heavy enough to stay put but light enough so one guy
can skid it around. Post vise, anvil stand, swage block stand, welding vise,
welding table, forge stand, stuff like that. Casters add cost and complexity
and fabrication time and they need maintenance and if they get overloaded then
they bend and jam. Skidding always works. I do have lots of stuff on casters
too, of course.

One thing it's important to make storage for is your pushbroom, your foxtail
and your dustpan. Oh yeah, and your garbage can. Think about flow of material
in, through, and out of your shop. One of your outputs is garbage. I used to
skip sweeping when I misplaced one of these items, and then I tracked chips
into the house. Now I'm divorced, and have a new partner and new house. And
I learned to have a place for my broom & dustpan & wastebasket and keep that
stuff there!

GWE