Jane & David

In article ,
Jane & David wrote:

In article fc.003d094101e08cc33b9aca0017f1236a.1e08cd5@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

Yes, absolutely check with UPS. They are not in the habit of leaving
things without a signature unless the package so stipulates.

snip

UPS stopped getting signatures here several years ago. UPS offered good
safe service in the past but not any more.

My first problem with them was about 10 years ago when I bought a
classic Nikon F camera and it was shipped to me via UPS. It arrived
sooner than expected, and I was still out of town but unlike past policy
they didn't keep the box until they could deliver it to a person. I
found a notice that it had been left by the side of my house - right
beside the garbage can. It was long gone when I got home, and I never
found out if it was stolen or went to the dump with the garbage. UPS
investigated and eventually I got my money back, but the camera could
not be replaced (I never found another one in such good condition at a
good price). The UPS supervisor I talked to said that getting signatures
was more expensive than paying off a few claims for lost packages.

These days UPS not only doesn't get a signature, they don't even knock
on the door. Several times I have had packages sit in the rain outside
when I was at home and this includes some packages that specifically
required a signature. After many many problems with them, I avoid UPS
whenever possible.

If you continue to get good service from UPS that's great, but watch out.

PDX David

I should point out that my experience is with UPS deliveries to a home
address. When delivering to a business where the driver can walk in and
find a person, there should be very few problems.

PDX David