The Natural Philosopher

Colin wrote:

I'm about to take over about a third of an acre of what's meant to be
wooded paddock, but is largely overrun at ground level by brambles.
The
previous owner has managed to return some of it to grass, but has

really

only, er, scratched the surface of the problem.

(ii) use of glyphosate at between 10 and 100 times recommended strength
sprayed on to newly sprouting stuff.

I tried Glysophate but had no luck. (Admittedly, not in these dilutions.)
The solution I found was to fence the area with an electric fence and stick
a couple of borrowed pigs in the area. The ground was 'organically' cleared
and nicely turned-over within a month or so.

That is interesting to hear too.

I always wondered how teh legenrdary pig lifetsyle would leave a plot...

In my case it was tyeh mathematics. The cost of fencing vastly exceeded
teh cost of a digger for a day or two. Even when the value of the
sausages was taken into account.

Ive done or garden in bits. But the hugely strong weedkiller cleared one
pattch so completely it simply naver has reappeared. That was INSIDE OF
a hedge. Couldn't get a mower there. (ditch)

Where its IN the hedge we recourse to painting it on, and cutting out
the stems once it goes manky and shrivelled. This works mostly, but any
drops on the hawthorn etc cause severe damage to that.

Regular mowing on the ride on takes care of any suckers and other
problems inside the garden. That is simply not a problem - just cut to
teh level that the ride on can cope with, and let the mulching blades do
teh rest.

Colin