Gerald Miller

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:07:53 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On 15 Dec 2004 06:45:47 GMT, inch (Peter H.) wrote:

Weight, manufacturer, type of rail, etcetera.

We still have some Carnegie Steel Corporation rail, circa 1890s, here in
Monterey Bay.

(Carnegie and Mellon were later merged to form U.S. Steel Corporation).

I've seen some Geneva (a WWII-era plant near SLC) rail around here.

Since 1936, rail has generally been Controlled Cooled, and CC is usually seen
as a type marking.

Pre-1936/non-controlled cooled rail is highly favored by Gillette Company, for
use in razor blades.

Back in the mid- 1960's, I crewed on a CN work train here in southern
Ontario that ripped out about 25 miles of VERY old track from an
abandoned short branch line between Simcoe and Port Rowan. We were
told it all went to Gillette in the US. Well work hardened material
for them I guess.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

That went to replace the diminished supply they got in1958-9 from the
Irondale, Bancroft and Ottawa Railway. The I,B and Slow was so slow
that it never got beyond Bird's Creek (the Bancroft terminus). This
line had been built with rail imported from England (so I was told)
and had grades steeper than anywhere else in Canada. I can still
recall the caned seats in the day coaches around 1944. In those days,
It was a race between my parents, Dad and I would be dropped at
Toronto Union station, then Mother would drive back to her parent's
home, load up the Model "A" coupe, then she and my brother would drive
the 150 miles to meet us at my other grandparent's home in
Wilberforce, near where the three of us spent the summer while Dad
went back to work at Acme Screw & Gear in Toronto. Many good memories
from this period in my life!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada