mac davis

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:38:20 -0500, "billh"
wrote:

Mac,
My Stronghold spigot jaws are dead flat across the tops (by eyeballing when
closed). You don't say how much they are out. Do you have a instrument
capable of accurately measuring them the variation in height?
You might want to give Oneway a call but I would try to get a measurement
first since they will probably want that info. I understand they are very
helpful with any concerns about their products.
Have you measured how true the chuck body runs on the lathe? A dial
indicator is great for this.
billh

Bill.. I'll have to dig out the dial gauge, I haven't measured, just
"eyeballed" and felt...

With the #2 jaws, you can run your finger over the jaws when closed
(lathe not running!!) and feel the joints between the jaws but not any
"height" difference between the jaws..

With the spigot jaws, you can see the higher/longer/whatever jaw buy
eye and feel it enough that if you han your finger nail across the
surface of the closed jaws, the high one would stop your nail..

The really strange part is that if I put any of the 3 jaws there,
(pinned one has to stay in place) the jaw in that position is high...
but none of the #2 jaws in that position are high...

It would seem that when the Spigot jaw sits there, the inner jaw is
off true, but when a #2 jaw sits in the same place, the inner jaw is
fine.. wouldn't that be impossible?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing