Ian White

Michael Mcneil wrote:
"Ian White" wrote in message

I'm about to take over about a third of an acre of what's meant to be
wooded paddock, but is largely overrun at ground level by brambles. The
previous owner has managed to return some of it to grass, but has really
only, er, scratched the surface of the problem.
How can I finish the job, as permanently as possible?

First of all, thanks to everyone for the helpful answers so far.

What is the paddock for?

Big radio aerials, mostly, which will involve laying an extensive earth
mat, just below the surface. That is the immediate reason why I need the
brambles out. The nobler aim is to reclaim the area from recent neglect,
and return it to grass as the dominant ground cover.

BTW, it does have scattered trees, and already has some areas that have
been reclaimed to grass. For both of those reasons, full-scale ploughing
is not an option. Even rotavating the brambled areas would be a mistake,
because it would spread thousands of bits of living root (BTDT with
other weeds, and very much regretted it). After the roots are dead,
there will be no need to rotavate anyway - I'd only want to remove any
stumps that could get in the way of the mower.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England