Roger Shoaf

"J T" wrote in message
Sat, Jan 8, 2005, 10:30pm (EST-3) (Roger Shoaf)
says:
I think you would be better off machining it after you welded it. The
technique you describe is likely to induce warp in the piece and while
it may be possible to weld with a technique to reduce the warpage, I
doubt you could reasonably expect any technique to give you zero.

Well, I'm not about to got into a buchch of "how I'd do it", and
variables include type of joining used, angle iron thickness, etc..
But, yeah, I expect I could do it without warping, and no machining. Not
in 30 seconds, but doable close enuogh to zero as to not matter - then
you paint it yellow. I figure most people here could, after a bit of
practice. Then there's always the 10% that couldn't do it with a robot
welder.

But, I doubt I'd do it, I'd probably just use plywood, as described
by someone else. Faster, easier, cheaper, just as accurate.

I suppose it comes down to a matter of accuracy. If I was going to make a
reference standard I would not like to have an out of square error of .020
over a six inches, but others might think that error to be too trivial to
worry about.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.