carl mciver

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
| On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 19:35:14 GMT, Bert wrote:
| Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
SNIP|

| Strict interpretation, no way. If an inspector sees it, he's not
| going to pass it. You're not supposed to make splices inside the
| panel for openers. And when you add the second branch breaker he'll
| insist on a new load calculation, the numbers of which will probably
| call for a service panel upgrade from 100A/125A to 200A, or 200A to
| 300A/400A"...
|
| But as long as you don't try to cook and weld at the same time, and
| you make a neat bolted connection in the panel, go for it. (And
| remember that "we never had this conversation"...) ;-P
|
| You'll need to splice the welder leads and the stove leads to a
| short chunk of piece-out wire to go into the breaker (split-bolt
| puttied and taped, or Polaris insulated splice), and then tuck
| everything back in neatly so the cover goes back on.
|
| -- Bruce --
|
| --
| Bruce L. Bergman, Woodland Hills (Los Angeles) CA - Desktop
| Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
| 5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
| Spamtrapped address: Remove the python and the invalid, and use a net.

Good thing we have electricians about like you who can baffle the rest
of us. You might be overloading the poor fellow! Pun not intended.

Old rental house. Best it ain't more than 150A service, and bet that
his landlord will not at all approve of any revisions to his wiring. If the
landlord knows about it and something happens, hell will have to pay because
for sure his insurance company won't!

An option that might just pass muster with everyone is having a properly
capable electrician make up a heavy duty extension cable to reach from your
range outlet to the welder you plan on using. This way you don't endanger
the house or its wiring, and since it's temporary, your renters insurance
will cover any issues. Yeah, it ain't cheap, but neither are any of the
problems you're going to create by messing with wiring in an old house you
don't own! I suppose when you don't need it anymore, you might find an
electrician who'll buy it back from you for pennies on the dollar that you
paid. Can you even get 8/3 or 6/3 SO/SJ cord?

While I got you here, Bruce, I wired up an additional 40A outlet for the
welder to my 150amp service panel. I've got some baseboard heaters taken
out of service, so I've gained some capacity there, so where can I go to
find the load ratings and what the guidelines for capacity are?