Jack

Ken Moffett wrote:
Jack wrote:

I have a simular question..Just got a Miller Syncrowave 180SD and the
manual shows connecting to a lock out box... I want to be able to move
it around the shop... I have 3 wall mounted plug-ins ( dryer type plugs)
connected to a 50 amp breaker. Can I just wire it up with a dryer type plug?
Jack

P.S. thanks for any thoughts anybody has on this..

Bert wrote:

I would like to plug a 220V welder into my dryer outlet, since that is
the only 220V outlet I have. But the house I'm renting is old enough
that the dryer outlet is a hot-hot-neutral outlet with no separate
ground. Would there be any problem (either in terms of the electrical
code or in terms of risk to myself or the equipment or the house) with
using the neutral wire as the grounding wire for the welder? Of
course, I'll need a plug adaptor -- I thought I'd use a 3-wire dryer
cord and connect the pigtails to an outlet matching the welder plug.

Thanks for any advice.

Bert

Yes! That's what the electritions did to the one in my shop at work. I
think they were also looking forward to the time when physical plant
people might need to borrow it (which the recently did). If I remember
right the manual called for a 60 A circuit, but if you don't run it at
max it shouldn't be a problem.

thanks, I thought that it would be alright...

The manual said, Max circuit breaker or fuse in amperes:
Time delay = 60 (time delay fuses are class "RH5")
Normal operating = 80 ( UL class "K5" upto and including 60 amp - UL
class "H" 65 amp and above)
Jack