mac davis

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 00:36:14 -0500, "billh"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:17:51 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

snip

[snip]

George... right now I have the spigot jaws attached.. I was going to
get the #1 jaws, but I had a great recommendation from Jim Pugh to get
the spigot instead..
http://www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/acces...pigot_jaws.htm

SO, it sounds like I missed one thing when checking the chuck.. even
though it appears to be running true, I'm basing it on what I'd call
in/out of round, but not "wobble" factor..
I'll check the flatness/alignment of the jaws this morning.. THANKS!

(I have no patience, so I turn the whole thing in one or 2 nights, so
no warping so far)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Mac,
When you close up the jaws in the chuck without anything in them do they
close uniformly and butt against each other fairly tightly?
Do you have a regular set of #2 jaws for the chuck you can try. I have the
#1 spigot jaws for my Stronghold and I don't really like them for holding
bowl tenons. I can't say I've had the grief you seem to be experiencing but
I prefer the regular jaws.
billh

Bill.. at George's suggestion, I checked the spigot jaws and when
closed, one jaw is very, very slightly further forward than the other
3..
I took them off, cleaned the inner jaws, etc., and put them back on,
making sure that only the jaw with the pin was in the same position as
before.. still didn't seem even, so I took them off for now..

Went back to the #2 jaws that came with the chuck, and they seem, if
not exactly flush at the ends while closed, closer than the spigot
jaws were..

I've checked everything on the chuck and can't see what would make one
outer jaw stick out more than another, so I'm thinking that I might
need to true the ends of the other jaws with emory cloth or
something..