Morris Dovey

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:15:06 -0500, Silvan
calmly ranted:

Patriarch wrote:

down her particulars some place where *I* can keep up
with it this time, so I can deal with future problems
over the phone.

So why is a certified LINUX geek who can network driving a
truck for a job?

Have you looked at any of the help wanted ads for Linux
geeks?

I'm not selling myself short here. I'm just really not
remotely qualified for any job I've ever seen advertised.
The home desktop arena where I play has almost nothing in
common with the corporate world. I've never used a computer
in a professional setting, except for a brief stint working
as a typist in a copy center in college, and I have no
computer experience. No training, no education, just a
couple decades as a competent hobbiest.

Hmm. I think you /are/ selling yourself short.

Well, Glenn misspelled "certifiable" and you misspelled
"hobbyist." I guess that makes you even.

I'm fairly certain that the idiots who write up want ads have
never even heard of the technologies they require for any
given job. Some seem to want people younger than 22 with a
Bachelors in Arts, a Masters in Computer Sciences, and a PHD
in something else, know 27 different computer languages
fluently, be able to levitate, etc. Oh, and they're offering
minimum wage + perqs.

A year after NT was released, I remember seeing an ad looking for
someone with 5 years of NT experience. (:

BTW, when the unpaid overtime is figured in, a lot of the young
software H1B types ended up making /far/ less than minimum wage.
I recall 7 young Indian programmers in San Jose sharing an
apartment because none of them could afford a single bedroom unit
of their own. When I asked if it wasn't uncomfortably crowded,
the answer I got was there were almost never more than two or
three at home - because the other four or five would be at work.
These guys typically worked twelve to eighteen hours a day and
got paid for only eight. Not all the sweatshops are on the
/other/ side of the Pacific rim...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar