Mike Mitchell

Default Hands-free DIY radio?

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:19:17 +0000, PoP wrote:

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 18:10:25 +0000, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

I cannot possibly listen to the radio while working, as I find it

Interesting! I have a small portable radio that I take out on jobs. I
listen to John Gaunt on London for 3 hours when I get the chance.
There's always some reprobate phoning up to express their opinion on
the issues of the day

Doesn't affect me at all - in fact it is quite useful in so far that I
get the time read out every so often.

Just one of my (many!) funny little ways, I suppose. But maybe it's
because I am very musical and always have been. Thus I cannot listen
to any music as "muzak". I choose what I want to listen to (or play
myself) and then I sit down and exclude everything else. But also
speech. How can I concentrate on wiring a spur or doing intricate
fitting work on a kitchen if there's the Afternoon Play on? Not
possible, I'm afraid! I do tend to work with a digital timer rather a
lot, as there are some programmes I don't want to miss. Money Box
Live, for example. Or Any Questions. I set the timer, listen to the
programme while having a cuppa and a break, then switch the radio off
and continue working. Some while ago, while I was still working full
time as a computer programmer, some bright spark in the office found
out how to play muzak through the PABX! Any distractions and I need a
wall to go up pretty quick! Oh, I'm single, by the way...

MM